Does renter’s insurance cover pet damage to an apartment?

Renting a home is a great option to avoid the burden of a long-term mortgage. However, you still need to protect your property from accidental damage or theft. Brock and Poole Insurance Agency in Collierville, TN, have many terrific renter’s insurance policies you can choose from to protect yourself from the financial burden caused by damage to your property in an apartment or a rented house. But not everything will be covered by renter’s insurance. If you share your home with a pet, make sure you understand what is covered by the policy.

Pets are great companions and provide many hours of pleasure. However, pets can also be destructive. You may have to deal with chewed-up rugs, furniture, or shoes, which may cost a pretty penny to replace. Not to mention if your fur baby bites someone inside your home, you may be looking at having to pay that person’s medical bills. Your renter’s policy most probably will not cover any damage to the property in your home caused by pets. Not even if it is your roommate’s property that is damaged. However, if your dog chews up your neighbor’s carpet that was stored in your apartment for some time or bites someone inside your home, you will be covered under the personal liability part of the policy.

There are, however, some exceptions to the liability coverage. Some insurers may carry certain exclusions to the costs related to legal liability if your dog is deemed an aggressive breed or if you have an exotic pet like a monkey or a snake. They may be excluded from your coverage.  

Brock and Poole Insurance Agency in Collierville, TN, can help you choose a policy that provides sufficient coverage for your needs.